20 July 2006

Life is just one big picnic


I have to admit that I’m rather proud of myself for having come up with the idea of my group picnics back in July 2000. The original one was held to usher in my new career as a freelance translator. I held it on a Saturday afternoon, starting around 3 pm. About 40 people came to help me rejoice in my departure from Cheuvreux, and we drank about 40 bottles of champagne over the course of the 7 ½ hour celebration. (This is not an exaggeration, neither in terms of bubbly consumption nor party duration.)
At that first picnic, I made the error of preparing all the food myself, which detracted somewhat from my enjoyment since it is clearly no small task to provide fresh food for 40 people in an outdoor setting a kilometre from your kitchen. I also made the mistake of scheduling it in the afternoon, when the park cops are still on their beat. First they forced us to move from the Champ de Mars to a tiny nearby park, and later they came back and busted up the very lively (thanks to the aforementioned champagne) croquet game we were playing (under the pretext that “ball games” in the park are against the law because they are bad for the grass… you can have 40 people sitting on blankets crushing the grass, but not a few small metal hoops pushed into it!! whatever. In my tipsy state, I confronted the flics, appealing to their patriotism with the example of the French Resistance, who broke the laws during WWII because the laws were evil and encouraged them to see this law in a similar vein. Needless to say, they did not appreciate my logic and luckily someone separated us before I received a citation).
Over the next few years, I organized another couple of picnics on a smaller scale and in more sober fashion in various Parisian parks or locations, but never on a recurring or formal basis. But the summer of 2003, forever engraved in French memories as “LA canicule” when the thermometer soared to record highs and the elderly dropped like flies, it was too darn hot to stay inside to eat. So, I started picnicking on a regular basis on the Champ de Mars after nightfall, to beat the heat on the surprisingly cool grass. The following summer I decided to share this pleasure with my Parisian friends and acquaintances.
These picnics solve the problem of my not being able to host dinners or parties in my miniscule apartment, and I am so pleased with their rousing success.
Generally, 30 to 60 of us gather around 8:00 pm on the fresh expanse of green near the Eiffel Tower and enjoy the sunset, the twinkling tower lights, and the array of food and drink (although I always provide the basics – plates, cups, forks, knives, napkins, etc. – now I only make enough food to feed around 20 and bring several bottles of wine and water. The guests all contribute some food to share and something to drink, and there’s always more than enough to go around). Sometimes there is good mingling and mixing among the attendees and sometimes everyone stays put in the conversation circle they formed upon arriving. In previous years, we were one of a few bold groups picnicking on the grass (it is of course, strictly forbidden, hence our expulsion to the petit parc in 2000. In the evenings, though, the authorities show great indulgence and tolerance by turning a blind eye if they happen to be present.. at least for now…unfortunately the increasing number of copycats are often not as well behaved as we are and some leave behind masses of litter, which could end up jeopardizing our fun in future summers). Nowadays, I have to arrive extra early to stake out precious space, as by 10 pm there are literally hundreds of picnickers and no more room. (See photos below from the May & August 2005 gatherings)


We often stay until 1 am or so, although there is always a mass exodus around half past midnight for those who need to catch the last metro.
If you happen to be in town this Saturday, July 22, come along and join us!

No comments: