18 July 2008

A very warm house

Well, it seems like a year since I posted anything here but it’s actually only been a month and a half… a month and a half explained by preparations for my Bastille day weekend housewarming party. On Saturday July 12, around 40 adults and 5 children joined me in my backyard for locally produced crémant (the champagne of Burgundy), cold cuts, salads and barbecued duck breast (this is France after all!) and various types of sausages, washed down with some local red wine. The last party-goers left around 5 am, with lots of people returning Sunday and Monday to eat leftovers that seemed to go on for days and days. I think it is safe to say that everyone had a good time. Reminiscent of my Champ de Mars picnics, folks had come from all over (besides the locals and the Parisians, some friends came from Alsace and others from Haute Savoie). It was wonderful, but 5 days later I’m still worn out from both the preparations and festivities…


We were incredibly lucky with the weather, as storms had been forecast all weekend long. Saturday was partly cloudy and not as hot as usual, and the rain held off until 1:32 am, at which point the crowd was small enough to fit on my covered terrace. The sun came back in its southern Burgundy splendour on Monday and hasn’t left us since.


Many thanks to all who came and those who gave of their muscle and time to help before and after with prep and clean-up, and the generous souls who brought lovely gifts!! My house and I are much the better for it!! Special mention for my boyfriend Jan, who not only was a tremendous help and fabulous co-host, but who also remained energetic and cheerful throughout the stress leading up to (and during) the big day.


There will be a separate photo album to follow once I gather all the pics together.

No comments: