04 July 2007

It's so rare that a news blurb makes me laugh...

but this one did, so I thought I'd share. My favorite bit is Stone's response.

Iran president rejects Oliver Stone documentary
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has rejected a proposal by Oscar-winning movie director Oliver Stone (Born on the Fourth of July, Platoon) to make a film about him because Stone is part of the ''Great Satan'' cultural establishment, a semiofficial news agency reported.
''I have been called a lot of things, but never a Great Satan,'' Stone said in a statement. ''I wish the Iranian people well, and only hope their experience with an inept, rigid ideologue president goes better than ours.''
The term the ''Great Satan'' dates back to Iran's late leader, Ayatollah Khomeini, who first called the United States that after the 1979 Islamic Revolution overthrew the country's U.S.-supported shah. (AP)

No comments: