24 October 2006

La littérature française

Between the crazy hectic pace that my life has been lately, what with breaking up with my boyfriend, hosting 3 houseguests, running around Burgundy tasting wines and house-shopping, buying my first house, and being swamped with a record workload, I somehow managed to read a book. And what a book! I loved it. For those of you who enjoy reading in French, I have to recommend it: Je voudrais que quelqu’un m’attende quelque part by the amazingly talented (and young and beautiful) Anna Gavalda. Her portraits of the various segments of French society are astonishingly accurate and honest, touching and funny. I loved it, I was sad to see it end, I give it my highest recommendation.
I’ve just bought her hit book Ensemble, c’est tout and can’t wait to start it…
After a quick search on Google, I see that most of her work has been translated into English, but obviously, you should get the original version if you can. (English titles: I wish someone were waiting for me somewhere and oddly, Hunting and Gathering)

No comments: